Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 72; Winner's Smile

My teeth are probably the most expensive parts of my body. 

A LOT of money has been put into them. First, I had to get oral surgery and then braces for two years. Right when I got my braces taken off, I got my permanent retainer plus my removable retainer. The day I got my braces off I started on what turned into a white strip obsession. About six months later, I got hit in the mouth and one of my front teeth was knocked loose and I had to get a root canal. The list goes on...

My mother had to go to the ends of the Earth to pay for all of this. So I have made it a point to wear my retainer every single night as if my life depended on it. This is because if my mum shelled out all that moola so Kelly could have a pretty smile, there is no chance Kelly is going to let that go to waste. It's been over 4 years since I got my braces off and I could have counted my retainerless nights on my hands there were so few....until I went home this Christmas....

I forgot my retainer at my apartment.

Every night when I went to bed, I could feel the paranoia that my teeth were jamming up and turning crooked. Every morning I woke up and checked out the alignment in the bathroom mirror in fear that I'd wake up with a snaggle tooth or something. And then my mom would come home and take one look at my wrecked chompers and cry because I had wasted everything. 

I went seven days and seven nights with no retainer.

Moment of silence.

The second I got into my apartment, I went straight to my bathroom, brushed my teeth, and shoved that sucker in there.


From the tension and pressure on the retainer, I could feel that my teeth had moved a little but barely enough to have even worried a second about it.

So all signs, once again, point to the fact that I may be a little too dramatic sometimes. So what? So sue me!

Pffft...too dramatic.. Who do you think you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment