Friday, December 24, 2010

Day 65; Practice Makes Perfect

I've been practicing patience in a big way. I would like to say that it's something I saw in myself and decided to fix, but that would be a big, fat lie. God is forcing me to practice patience in various ways lately. He's been giving me lots of opportunities to improve my willingness to endure.

So here I am...trying to be patient. I'll get there...

A good example of some improvement was Monday night when I took my brother to his girlfriend's house in Algiers....during rush hour traffic. Going to the Westbank was a piece of cake. Got right over the bridge with a breeze, and we were at her house in no time. After I had dropped Bobby off, however...Well, that's a different story.

The bridge and interstate looked like someone vomited every car in the country onto this one route.


This picture in no way compares to what it really looked like, but I couldn't get a good picture of the chaos so this'll do. This was taken before I even got on the bridge and about 15 minutes before I had to be in Slidell for Kori's birthday dinner.

Did I turn into the Hulk? Did I yell at cars on the road that I mentally dubbed morons? No.

Sure, internally, emotionally, spiritually, and metaphysically I was cursing every driver on the road while imagining myself running right through all of them. Sure. But the point was I didn't ever actually say anything out loud, right? And I didn't even run them off the bridge like I was picturing in my head!! I'm good, right?

Sure, in my mind I turned into a Hulk that could have destroyed the city of New Orleans. Sure. But I didn't show signs of that externally. So basically, I was the picture of grace in every way.

Because as long as it all stays in your head and you never actually say it out loud, it's like it never existed, right?

Wait...is this not how it works?? Gosh, I thought it was...

No comments:

Post a Comment